JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Quacking and Squawking overhead

You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair.
- Chinese Proverb

A daily practice of sketching and painting gives you a chance to exercise the big three P's - practice, practice, practice!


Duck sketches in Moleskine Watercolour sketchbook 8" x 5.5"

As I was filling the bird feeders yesterday morning, I heard a terrible raucous and as I looked up, six ducks came flying over, quacking and chatting, sounding like a busy freeway in the sky. I managed to identify some South African Shell ducks and some Mallards. Peculiar that they were all flying together, but given the Mallard's tendency to mate with anything and anyone, it's probably not that surprising. But there again, what I thought was the Shell ducks might have been female Mallards.


Duck sketches in Moleskine Watercolour sketchbook 8" x 5.5"

This is done in my Moleskine Watercolour Sketchbook, which, when opened, is too long for the scanner to cover both pages, therefore the two pictures.

6 comments:

  1. We have lots of mallards here in my garden because two ponds and my neighbours pond is just right for them. Looking forward to seeing baby ducks very soon. I agree with the practice practice mantra - the only way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great sketches! I have never tried anything like this before. I must give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sandra! I absolutely LOVE my sketch-books, and they go everywhere with me! Give it a go, maybe you can start keeping a Nature Journal, if you haven't already! You can also find out a bit more about journaling here : http://mareeclarkson.livejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carolann, you're so lucky to have the Mallards nearby, if they don't pass by, I have to go look for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maree...your sketches have just exploded with finesse and character lately. You do lovely work!
    Ronell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ronell! And I'm pleased my growth and progress is visible!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!