JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Friday, April 9, 2010

The Proud little Black Wattle

“A man doesn't plant a tree for himself. He plants it for posterity.”
- Alexander Smith



This young little Black Wattle tree at the bottom of our smallholding is earmarked for eradication, together with a couple of others that have sprung up again since the last clean-up. It's a constant and on-going battle against this alien, Australian species which spreads like wild fire if left unattended, threatening our indigenous trees and grasses. I decided we'll leave the dead one as it's a favourite look-out point for the Fiscal Shrike.

See the previous post about the ongoing battle against Black Wattles

4 comments:

  1. As a small thumbnail icon on my Reading List, this looked like a small doodle that I would normally do! But then, I looked closely and it's pretty amazing. I love how you do watercolour, whenever I try it just gets messed up =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Teenage Blogger! You know what they say, "if at first you don't succeed..." - just keep on trying, practice makes perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black Wattles and Fiscal Shrikes? I have never heard of either! They sound like snakes - eek! I love the sketch Maree. I really want to try some outdoor watercolour sketches. It's finally warming up a little here in the UK so hopefully soon. If they turn out like yours I'll be delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you'll be getting out to sketch and thank you for your kind remark Sandra! The Common Fiscal (Lanius collaris) is a member of the shrike family found throughout most of Sub-Saharan Africa. It is also sometimes named Fiscal Shrike, as well as Jackie Hangman or Butcher Bird due to its habit of impaling its prey on acacia thorns to store the food for later consumption. They're great little characters to watch!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!