JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Monday, April 12, 2010

I'm on a Seagull mission!

“Why is it,” Jonathan puzzled, “that the hardest thing in the world is to convince a bird that he is free, and that he can prove it for himself if he’d just spend a little time practicing? Why should that be so hard?”
- From Jonathan Livingstone Seagull

A daily practice of sketching and painting gives you a chance to exercise the big three P's - practice, practice, practice!


"Seagull in flight" - watercolour in Moleskine Watercolour Sketch-book 8" x 5.5" - Maree©

After just having read "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull" (I know, I'm a late bloomer!), I'm enamoured by seagulls again! It's a passion that has been lying dormant for some time and awakened by this wonderful little book again.

Whenever I go down to the coast, one of the highlights of my visit is feeding the seagulls. They look at one with definite, calculated intention, and they seem to anticipate your next move before you even know what's it's going to be, snatching the food as it leaves your fingers. I also love the way they land right next to you, so close that you can see the pupil in their eye, without any apparent fear, yet poised for instant flight should you make an ominous move.

One time, a seagull landed next to me within touching distance, the plastic ring of some soda can wrapped around its one leg. I reached out slowly to try and catch it, and it lifted into the air, staying just centimeters from my grasping hand, landing again as soon as I retreated. I tried to grab it quickly, and once again it lifted off, staying just inches away from my hand, landing again as soon as it was safe. I fed it some bread and watched with great pain in my heart as it eventually lifted off and took flight over the ocean.

But here's the thing - I travel down to Ballito, on the North Coast of KwaZulu Natal, a few times during the year, but I have to go to Durban or further North up the coast to find the seagulls - there are no seagulls in Ballito! And yet they are up here in Gauteng, 600km from the coast, a mystery I still intend solving!

8 comments:

  1. A lovely gull, really hanging beautifully in your picture space. I own a disc with very many seagull photos. I put my camera on sports mode and aim upwards as they fly over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marie. I've got a couple of my own, some taken in Durban, the others at St. Lucia up the North Coast. Love to photograph them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Maree

    Lovely series on the Sea Gull. I also loved the small series you did on the Mallard Duck. Lovley
    as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Maree, as usual a beautiful watercolour. Can't help wondering what happened to that seagull with the ring around its foot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Liz! Don't remind me! I cried all throughout the movie "Happy Feet" because of the ring around Lovelace's neck! And thanks for the kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a lover of birds, this painting took my eye. A great little study, uncluttered and simply done.
    May I ask the reason for the '25'?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Frank! '25' is the page number in my Moleskine watercolour sketch-book out of 68 pages!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!