JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Africa's Wonder

A daily practice of sketching and painting gives you a chance to exercise the big three P's - practice, practice, practice!



“Let a Person Walk Alone With Few Wishes, Committing No Wrong, Like an Elephant in the Forest.”

Africa’s wild animals are a constant source of inspiration and for me elephants symbolise Strength, Solitude, sense of loyalty to the family and Intelligence. Looking into the eye of an elephant, one sees Wisdom beyond our understanding.

I sketched this young elephant on a visit to the Elephant Sanctuary Hartebeespoort Dam where they provide a “halfway house” for young African elephants in need of a temporary home.

Watercolour on Bockingford 300gsm 16” x 12”

7 comments:

  1. Maree, I love your elephant and am always glad to know that there are recovery sanctuaries for our dear ones in the wilds. How wonderful that you got to visit.
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been around for a while Maree; this is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always so good with our wild animals,Maree! I will be scared to even try my hand at something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a pity that there even HAS to be sanctuaries Annie, it's not an ideal situation at all. My heart was crying all through my visit and it seemed as if the elephant's eyes were trying to tell me something... Thank you for your visit, I always enjoy your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaah, glad you popped in Liz, thank you! I've also been neglecting visiting my watched blogs, so I fully understand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a beautiful hand with your flowers Marie, I can just imagine that turned to animals! Thanks for your lovely comment, I always enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!