JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

My dream of a Cottage by the sea

“We plan our lives according to a dream that came to us in our childhood, and we find that life alters our plans. And yet, at the end, from a rare height, we also see that our dream was our fate. It's just that providence had other ideas as to how we would get there. Destiny plans a different route, or turns the dream around, as if it were a riddle, and fulfils the dream in ways we couldn't have expected.”
- Ben Okri

A daily practice of sketching and painting gives you a chance to exercise the big three P's - practice, practice, practice!

Aaaah, the dream.... (probably on the West Coast of South Africa.) Done from my imagination – W & N watercolours on Arches 300gsm - 10" x 7"

My dream of a cottage by the sea… There are songs written about it, there are books written about it and poems written about it – the sea. How many of us have the dream of owning a cottage by the sea?

I don't mean a unit in a complex by the sea, I've had one of those in a busy, busy seaside town... I mean a place of peace and tranquility, far from the madding crowd, quiet walks on the beach with not a soul in sight, collecting shells and drift-wood, sitting on a rock watching the ships go by… listening to the sound of thunder and lightning on a windy stormy night, intermingled with waves crashing on the beach, feeling save in the warm glow of the fire crackling in the hearth...

“The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire, the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way.”
- Robert Kiyosaki

2 comments:

  1. Lovely image of your dream, Maree. I visit my dream, often, as I am falling asleep. A place of space and light and peace. Sometimes, from a childhood memory of me and the family dog wading through lapping waves on a misty evening, all the houses nearby erased in the incoming fog... Sometimes, a dream place of surf crashing against cliffs and the old-time foghorn moaning, deep and mournful...

    annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how gorgeous your description Annie! I can see the whole picture in my mind!As long as we cling to our dreams, life is an adventure! I'm pleased you like this, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!