JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Monday, July 19, 2010

Forest drama


Forest Drama - Watercolour in Moleskine Watercolour Sketch-book - 5" x 8"

Winter here in Tarlton (Gauteng, South Africa) is always dramatic and spectacular. Once the green fields of summer turn yellow and dry, and after the veld fires have swept the landscape, we are left with gorgeous contrasts of greens, blacks and browns, starkly contrasting with the bright blue of winter skies.

Despite our fire breaks and the fact that our grass had been cut, our smallholding did not escape the ravages of the veld fires this year - it swept through our property in the small hours of the morning, leaving a charred landscape in its wake and the acrid smell of smoke in the air.

I took a walk down to the Blue Gum forest at the bottom of our smallholding (8.5ha), and did this sketch of some trees that had been caught in the fire, a drama that plays itself out year after year.

6 comments:

  1. Ahh, I love this scene. It's really lovely to look at and I love the composition :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This painting is beautiful. Great colors, I love it. I am painting through synesthesia which makes me see colors when I hear a name or a number. Colors are my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandra, thank you very much! And so pleased you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear you like it Artist, and thanks a lot for popping in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah those veld fires Maree - so devastating yet making way for new growth. Really wonderful sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for your compliment Liz. The fires certainly are contradictory - both beautiful and devastating.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!