JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Seagull and the beach

"Jonathan Seagull discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that gull’s life is so short and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed."
- From 'Jonathan Livingstone Seagull'

A daily practice of sketching and painting gives you a chance to exercise the big three P's - practice, practice, practice!


"The Seagull and the beach" - watercolour in Moleskine Watercolour sketch-book
8.5" x 5" - Maree©


This is done from my imagination – I'm longing for the beach and seagulls!

"Seagull, you fly across the horizon
Into the misty morning sun.
Nobody asks you where you are going,
Nobody knows where you're from.

Here is a man asking the question
Is this really the end of the world?
Seagull, you must have known for a long time
The shape of things to come.
Now you fly, through the sky, never asking why,
And you fly all around 'til somebody, Shoots you down.

Seagull go and fly,
Fly to your tomorrow, leave me to my sorrow, fly."

8 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Maree, both the painting and the poem!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Teri! These words are actually from a song, just can't remember the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always make me want to pick up my watercolours again Maree! This is so lovely and free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maree,
    I just discovered your blog and I am so at home here...a beautiful inspiration and motivation for a beginner. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Liz - when last did you do watercolours? Maybe it's time for experimenting again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Pat, and thanks for visiting my blog! If you're a beginner, NOW's the time to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...we just spent a week in Florida and was surrounded gulls and all the other shore birds. I miss them so much. Thanks for bringing "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull" back to mind. When I was a teen in the 70s that song was one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you believe I've never read the book Kelly? Only just ordered it now, expecting it by Friday. I also loved the song.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!