JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Sunday, May 16, 2010

My latest toys - Gouache

"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time."
- John Lubbock

A daily practice of sketching and painting gives you a chance to exercise the big three P's - practice, practice, practice!


Landscape in Gouache - in Moleskine 200gsm Folio 12" x 8" - Maree©

In this invented scene I've experimented with a Gouache technique (pronounced "gwash" - it comes from the Italian aguazzo, for "mud"), using Opaque watercolours, starting with light transparent washes and smaller opaque passages down the slopes in the foreground, using colours like Light Red Permanent Opaque, Payne's Grey Permanent Opaque and Cadmium Yellow Permanent Opaque. For the sky I've mixed Cerulean with some Chinese White, using the same mix on the mountains with a darker variation.

I quite like the look one achieves with the opaques and I will be investing in some Gouache paints a.s.a.p.! This looks like an exciting new learning curve for me!

What is Gouache?
Gouache differs from watercolour in that the particles are larger, the ratio of pigment to water is much higher, and an additional, inert, white pigment such as chalk is also present. Like all water media, it is diluted with water. (Gum Arabic is also present as a binding agent, just as in watercolour.) This makes gouache heavier and more opaque, with greater reflective qualities.



Gouache paints come in many colors and are usually mixed with water to achieve the desired working properties and to control the opacity when dry.

2 comments:

  1. It is beautiful Maree. I have a some gouash also and play with it every once in awhile. The colors are definitely brighter. But I keep going back to watercolor. I am going to love to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your input Teri, I think I don't know what I'm letting myself in for, Gouache sounds very much like poster paints to me now!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!