JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Friday, May 14, 2010

On the Border of the Game Reserve

We need the tonic of wildness…We can never have enough of nature…We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.
- Henry David Thoreau


"Border of the Game Reserve" - watercolour on Ashrad hot-pressed 300gsm - 8" x 6"
- Maree©


Much of Tarlton in Gauteng, South Africa, is flat farm land and renowned for the many vegetable and flower farmers in the area. But we do have our fair share of hills and rocky outcrops, making it an artist's paradise for the variety of landscapes it offers. This scene is on the border of the Krugersdorp Game Reserve, where the landscape drops steeply into a little ravine with a stream and little waterfall at the bottom.

I had to access this area with my Land Rover as it's quite far off the road (hubby driving, I DON'T do off-road!) - we were actually on our way to the shopping mall that Monday morning and hubby said he just had to show me something - took a short detour and was it worth it! Unfortunately the stream was dry, hubby says it's spectacular when it tumbles down the little waterfall, but the rocks and shrubs provided a beautiful setting. We spent almost one and a half hours here while I did this sketch. When I can summon up the courage, I might take a drive to the area again for another sketch.

2 comments:

  1. The area looks beautiful. Just be careful driving when you go back:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Libby. I will be careful, thank you, but it's a toss-up between summoning up the courage or asking hubby to accompany me again!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!