JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Daisies and weeds and crab spiders

"The Rose has but a Summer reign,
The daisy never dies."
Author: James Montgomery


Daisies and weeds - watercolour in Moleskine Watercolour sketch-book - 8" x 6" Maree©

My Shasta Daisies have now been over-taken by the weeds and I decided to do one last sketch before I trim them down for the winter. Come Spring, they will once again bloom in abundance, and be home to the white Crab Spider, which changes its colour depending on the colour of the flower it is sitting on.

Crab spiders are not active hunters. They make use of camouflage techniques and remain quite still until the prey arrives and then catch it. With a poisonous bite (not dangerous to humans) they kill their prey and suck it dry. Every season I love inspecting the daisies close-up, seeing how many I can find on a bush. I also refrain from watering the daisies with a hose pipe from the top in case I drown them!


A white crab spider on a daisy


Here's a crab spider in yellow form on a daisy


Here the crab spider is half green and half brown, blending perfectly with the flower it is sitting on

(Pics from Wikipedia)

Buy a Greeting Card, Postcard or Framed print of this image on "RedBubble"


Greeting card from my "Flower Series"

4 comments:

  1. It is such a fresh and immediate daisy painting, Maree. It has lots of charm. The nature snippets are also interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marie - I just love these little spiders and I actually saw one in action once catching a fly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those daisies! This is terrific Maree and I didn't realise those spider could be so cute?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Liz - the little Crab Spiders are truly cute, and when you disturb them, they sidle sideways, very crab-like!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!