JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Thinking Big!

“The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.”
- Ayn Rand


"Rain in the gum forest" - watercolour on Bockingford 300gsm - 20" x 39" - Maree©

This is my first foray into BIG! A familiar subject, trees... There's something so scary and intimidating about a huge, pristine white piece of paper staring at you - putting that first splash of colour feels almost like sacrilege, like I'm defacing something pure and wonderful. But as the colour started to take over, I confidently worked faster, thinking about my own advice on fear - what's the worst that can happen?

Do I fear wasting the paints? What would happen if I did? I’d get more. I’d move on. I’d live.

Do I fear spoiling the paper? What would happen if I did? I’d crumple it up and throw it away. I'd get some more. I’d live.

And so I bravely worked with big, bigger than what I'm used to anyway, brush strokes, finally seeing it all come together. Whew!

I did a practice sketch of these trees on our smallholding, shortly after a downpour, and did the painting from that. I just could not see myself out in the bush with the easel and this big piece of paper!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Bet that felt different! I'd need larger brushes :) Nice work. Go girl!

    By the by, I love Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. Read it sooooo many years ago. I just look it up on the web. Surprisingly it's had it's most sales in 2009 - seems lots of people are seeking a leader. A true leader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam, and I found I also need some bigger brushes! My Hake has gone a bit floppy and big round brushes are a bit of a scarcity here.

    I read The Fountainhead in my twenties and have never forgotten it, but haven't done Atlas Shrugged.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!