JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Keeping an Artist's Journal


Weeds in my garden

Well, the on-line art class "Keeping an Artist's Journal", offered by Cathy Johnson, has come to an end after 5 weeks, and this was an exercise in one of the lessons where we had to explore using various techniques in your art journal. Here I used some salt on the wet foreground, making for some interesting texture.



In the above exercise I explored collage - a piece of Hessian glued onto the page and used for the foreground of this watercolour scene, with some threads pulled up to give texture to the grass.

Although I've been journaling for many years, I found Cathy's class extremely informative and organised, beautifully laid out with great in-depth detail, covering every possible aspect of keeping an art journal.

I normally have been keeping various journals for various things - a Daily Journal for my deepest, inner thoughts, in which I often sketch and paint as well; A Gratitude Journal, where I write about what I'm thankful for every day, accompanied by little sketches; a small Moleskine note-book for to-do-lists, reminders, etc; a separate Moleskine Notebook for graphite and ink sketches and a Gardening Journal, where I note progress on my garden, visiting birds, etc. It's mayhem when I want to record something, and cannot find the relevant journal quick enough!



And this habit of having many different journals comes from my love of writing and note-books and sketch-books - I just cannot walk past a Moleskine or a pretty sketch-book without buying it!

Cathy's class helped me decide to integrate virtually everything into ONE journal. My daily gratitudes are now accompanied by little sketches, my To-do-List is at the back, together with my shopping list, also with little sketches. Pencil and ink sketches are done at a whim and my gardening progress, with sketches, dried leaves, flowers and dates is also incorporated as well as all the insects, birds and wild life in my garden - all together in one place, and easy to take anywhere!


My Feint 6-Quire Daily Journal. I mostly use it as my daily thoughts journal, but also do some accompanying sketches.

The only one that I'm keeping separate, is my Daily private journal. I use a large, thick, 6-Quire Feint, much too heavy to carry around and besides which, it is lined, beautiful to write in with my Parker fountain pen and has come a long way with me, helping to clarify thoughts and work through problems.

7 comments:

  1. Gosh, it seems like just the other day you were about to start this course, and now it's over - I rather wish I'd joined you! I've just been reading Cathy's contribution to Danny Gregory's book, An Illustrated Life, where she recommends one journal for everything and that is sounding like a good idea. Like you, I've had half a dozen on the go, which makes going out to sketch very complicated sometimes! These pages you've shown are beautiful - I love the spaces setting off the art and script - something I always neglect to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy, can't believe how quickly these 5 weeks went by! And just at the end of Lesson 3, Windows crashed on my MAC and I couldn't down-load Lesson 4, thought I was going to be late, but managed to get it done. Let's keep an eye out for Cathy's next interesting class and go for it together - I'll let you know if I come upon anything and vica verca.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be great, thanks - look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maree:

    Can you tell me a little bit about "My Feint 6-Quire Daily Journal" becoming your only journal? (aside from your personal journal)

    I've been vacillating about this for years. I'm currently keeping three journals (sometimes 4): Work, sketch, private lined journal, and project journal.

    I'd love to merge all three into one and just keep a private journal but would like to understand how you do the following:

    1) index the journal?
    2) size of your journal?
    3) paper type of your journal?

    I only use watercolor and waterproof pen, sometimes art pens.

    Anyway, anything along these lines would help. Thanks in advance.

    ...dave
    daveterry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dave, The Feint 6-Quire (which is actually a thick book normally used by Accountants) is my DAILY PERSONAL journal, which I use almost daily to write about thoughts and important events, sometimes accompanied by sketches, but indexing is definitely a problem - I just page through it if I need to find something, so I would think a Project Journal definitely needs to be on its own. Although you could incorporate an Index in the front few pages, filling in the Index as you write an entry, using the page number in the index.

    In my Artist's Journal I do mostly sketches from nature, my garden, etc. accompanied by a lot of notes and information.

    Hopes this help. I realise it is difficult using only 1 journal for everything, but I've certainly cut down on the number of journals I was using.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!