JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Monday, October 26, 2009

Painting Wildlife in a Game Park

Gathering your own reference materials, sketches and using your own imagination is going to help you grow as an artist far more than stealing someone else's work.
- Bonnie Hamline


"Impala" watercolour on Bockingford 300gsm - Maree©

It was last during 2004, when I visited the Krugersdorp Game Reserve, that I had painted any wild animals plein air, but in January 2009 I re-visited the Game Lodge, taking my paints with me, and managed to find the Impala herd quite close to the road, which allowed me to capture a group that were standing close together. The rest of the herd on the right-hand side of the picture are not included, as my scanner could not take the large sketch.

Also see Painting Wildlife

4 comments:

  1. Well done , Maree. I admire you for always having paints handy at any moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marie, but don't you believe it - it's mostly a deliberate attempt and great planning to get out - the only thing that's always with me is my Moleskine sketch-book! Plein air is a big mission for me and I specifically have to feel in the mood and then pack - it's like going to Ballito for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh Maree, in one week I've missed so much of your wonderful 'slices of life' sketches. These are fabulous and I especially love the spider!

    Now I'm back, I'll be able to keep pace (more or less) with your incredible workload.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Liz! I would actually like to ask you and Marie something - do you make use of the main menu on the left side and do you think it's useful? If it's a waste of time, I might as well remove it, it's getting so long!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!