JUST ME :: and a stack of blank pages

:: Living creatively ::

About me

This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realise it is play. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. I’m here to tell you that the path to peace is right there, when you want to get away. When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Onion Shell

An artist never really finishes his work, he merely abandons it.
Paul Valery

A daily practice of sketching and painting gives you a chance to exercise the big three P's - practice, practice, practice!


"Onion Shell" (family Melapiidae) - pencil sketch and watercolour in 'Journal' sketchbook - Maree©

I sketched this shell in 2002, but decided to put some colour to it yesterday.

These shells are smooth on the outside, without ridging, and have a quite flattened spire. In South Africa we have Melapium lineatum and Melapium elatum - 2 really beautiful shells. The lineatum's common name is 'Onion shell' - the shape and patterns resemble an onion.

3 comments:

  1. I just came across your site and absolutely love it. I paint shells too and was looking up facts on the melapium elatum and came across your sketch.


    I dream of going to Africa one day!

    I love all your quotes and am inpired by your site:)

    if you want to see some of my paintings, please visit www.tracyeffingerart.blogspot.com.

    I am going to be doing a seashell show in the fall!

    best,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a look at your shell paintings Tracy, absolutely stunning! I'm glad to be of inspiration and thank you for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Help. I 'posted' a comment and then had to select anonymous because I don't understand what 'select a profile' means.( Margie Thomson member WSSA Centurion) Sorry but I have to do 'anon' again!! I will check ou blogspot on Friday to see if anyone can please make me better informed. Thank you.Margie.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! And thank you for visiting my blog!